Monday, August 13, 2012

Camp adventures: Buffalo Bills at St. John Fisher

My second training camp stop this summer was in Pittsford for Buffalo Bills training camp at St. John Fisher. Actually, I stopped at Pittsford Mendon High School and hopped on a big yellow bus for a 10-minute ride to the college. Talk about a trip down memory lane, I half expected someone to make an inappropriate comment about my mother.
The shuttle/time machine to St. John Fisher.

I won't lie, as soon as I arrived at Bills camp I was much more impressed than I was with the Giants camp at the University at Albany. The Giants had a small merchandise tent set up off the sidewalk on the way to the field, which paled in comparison to the Bills air-conditioned big top that was half gift shop, half exposition hall. There were games, ticket sales, media guides and even free blood pressure screenings by the Wegman's School of Nursing, which is located on the campus.

Upon exiting the tent I was greeted with a stand offering deep-fried Oreos, deep-fried macaroni and cheese and a variety of other fried food options. I wasn't sure if I was still at Bills camp or if the tent housing the gift shop was actually some sort of space-time wormhole to the New York State Fair.
Oh yeah, there was a football practice too.
But there wasn't just fried food, there were burgers, hot dogs, fresh-squeezed lemonade and other concessions in a few different areas around the field. There was so much going on, including a large kids play area that I wanted to try myself, it was easy to forget that there was a football practice going on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home