Friday, July 6, 2012

Top 5 sports movie quotes

Yesterday our sports editor here at the Dispatch, Perry Novak, charged us with the impossible task of naming the top movie quote of all time as he was on his way out the door. Maybe he was curious or maybe he was looking to rub in that, "there's no place like home." (Did I mention he was off for the night?) Either way, he got me thinking, and I compiled my five favorite sports movie quotes, in no particular order.
  1. "If you build it, he will come." - Ray Kinsella, "Field of Dreams." - How Perry left this one off his all-time general movie quote list baffled me, he's lived it.
  2.  "Yo Adrian!" - Rocky Balboa, "Rocky." - One of those iconic quotes that I knew who said it before I ever saw the movie.
  3. "Juuuust a bit outside." - Harry Doyle, "Major League." - I've never played a family softball game without hearing this gem, courtesy of Bob Uecker.
  4. "So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." - Carl Spackler, "Caddyshack." - Bill Murray's improvised, imaginary "Cinderella story" soliloquy gets most of the love, but I prefer the "Dalai Lama" anecdote. Big hitter, the Lama.
  5. "Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes it rains." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh "Bull Durham." Truer words have never been spoken.
The best part of these lists are they're open for interpretation. Feel free to leave your favorites in the comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home