Wednesday, November 27, 2013

5 things this sports fan is thankful for

By Kyle Mennig 

This Thanksgiving, as with most Thanksgivings, I find myself looking back and reflecting on all the positive aspects of my life I've seen over the past year. Of course, there's the usual family, friends, job, etc. that I'm thankful for, but what has the sports world given me? 

It's been a year of ups and downs (Derrick Rose is cleared to play...he's not ready...he's finally back...he's out again) to say the least. However, (take it from a Mets fan) there's always something to look back fondly on.

1. NFL Sunday Ticket

This season, I took the plunge. Well, kind of. I bought a special anniversary edition of Madden 25 (because nothing screams fun like having a 12-year-old kick your butt online and have him taunt you throughout the experience), mainly for the fact that it came with 17 weeks of NFL Sunday Ticket Max. Basically, the package allows online streaming of every NFL game that isn't on TV.

It's been great, being able to watch any game I want (along with the fantasy footballer's dream, RedZone). But perhaps the biggest reason I'm thankful for it is directly tied to No. 2 on this list.

2. Matthew Stafford

Hurry, hurry! You guys are going to want to see this!
For much of his career, I had never really had a strong opinion on the Lions QB. I never really loved him, never hated him. He was just a pretty good quarterback on a sometimes good team.

That all changed in Week 8.

I'm a firm believer that you either love or hate the Dallas Cowboys and I firmly fall into the second category. When Stafford scored his sneaky game-winning TD (that I was watching through NFL Sunday Ticket), well, my heart grew three sizes in his favor that day.

3. The Miami Heat

Ugh. I know, I know. I feel as dirty writing it as you do reading it.

I'm not the biggest fan of them winning another NBA title. However, their photobomb game is impossible to argue with.

 

4. Matt Harvey

Oh Matt Harvey. Where to begin? For a few short months this summer, you gave Mets fans hope. Every fifth day was a must-see event on par with a holiday with wishes of "Happy Harvey Day!" littering my Twitter feed. And although it was brutally ripped away, it was all worth the pain (well for me at least, not sure if Matt would agree).

And while you won't be back on the mound until 2015, we'll always have the streets of New York.

 

5. There's always next year

The rallying cry for fans around the world, aside from the lucky few who get to leave it behind for at least one fleeting moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home